The Zoo and Aquarium All Hazards Preparedness, Response and Recovery (ZAHP) Fusion Center is pleased to announce a fourth year of funding opportunities to increase preparedness and response activities across the Exotic Animal Industry (EAI). Since 2017, ZAHP has funded 35 projects enhancing preparedness at the facility, local, or regional level.
This year, through continued financial support from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), we are pleased to offer two levels of funding:
- ZAHP Preparedness Grants: These grants of $2,000 each are available for projects that seek to improve preparedness at the individual facility or local level. Any exotic animal facility in the United States is eligible to apply for this opportunity. Sample projects may include, but are not limited to:
- A meeting or workshop that would enhance preparedness at a specific facility or at multiple facilities within a limited geographic area.
- Supplies, equipment, and/or training needed to improve safety or preparedness at a specific facility.
- Professional safety/preparedness assessment of a facility.
- ZAHP Capacity Building Grants: These grants of $5,000 – $10,000 each are available for projects that seek to build capacity for preparedness, response, and/or recovery in the Exotic Animal Industry (EAI) beyond the individual facility or local level. Any exotic animal facility in the United States is eligible to apply for this opportunity; organizations collaborating with EAI facilities are also eligible to apply (a Statement of Support from the collaborating facility must be provided). Sample projects may include, but are not limited to:
- A training or workshop to increase capacity for response at the regional or national level.
- Purchase of equipment for response or recovery that would be used by or for multiple facilities
- Development of a training, tool, or equipment that would address a gap in knowledge/ability in a broad portion of the EAI.
Limit one application per organization. Past applicants and recipients of ZAHP Micro-grants are welcome to apply. Additional information and specific requirements are included in the application packet for each grant opportunity (linked above). Applicants must be eligible to receive federal funds.
Applications for both opportunities are due no later than 11:59 PM Eastern Time on February 17th, 2020. Completed applications, as well as any questions, should be sent via email to [email protected]