April 10th, 2020
For additional information and resources for the exotic animal industry visit the COVID-19 landing page.
Tiger Tests Positive for COVID-19
On April 5th the USDA announced that SARs-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 in humans, had been confirmed in one tiger at the Bronx Zoo in New York. Samples from the female Malayan tiger were tested after multiple tigers and lions began showing signs of respiratory illness. The Widlife Conservation Society has reported that the tiger and all of the zoo’s other cats are doing well at this time.
Naturally, this news has sparked a lot of questions within the zoological industry and beyond. This statement prepared by veterinary advisors to the AZA Felid TAG made by veterinary advisors of the AZA Felid TAG is being shared with their permission to address some of the most common questions and concerns.
For additional information on this case please refer to the questions and answers provided in the Statement from USDA .
Additional Animal Care Guidance:
- Science-Based Facts & Knowledge About Wild Animals, Zoos and SARS-CoV-2 Virus – European Association of Zoo and Wildlife Veterniarians (EAZWV) Infectious Disease Working Group
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) considerations for bats in human care – Information and recommendations from the AZA Bat TAG veterinary advisors
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): considerations for Great Apes in human care – prepared by Dr. Hayley Murphy, Deputy Director of Zoo Atlanta and Director of the Great Ape Heart Project and reviewed by great ape veterinary advisors
Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
Part of the CARES Act, the Paycheck Protection Program authorized up to $349 bill in forgivable loans to help small businesses impacted by COVID-19 cover their operating expenses.
The Coronavirus Emergency Loans: Small Business Guide and Checklist produced by the US Chamber of Commerce is an excellent resource to help facility owners and operators:
- Determine eligibility
- Identify what information is needed by lenders
- Calculate how much they can borrow; and
- Find out how much of the loan may be forgiven.
Application information and additional resources are availble on the US Department of the Treasury website.
- Small Business Owner’s Guide to the CARES Act – U.S Senate Commitee on Small Business and Entrepeneurship
- Webinar Recording: US Chamber of Commerce Foundation Briefing on Nonprofits and the CARES act
- Zoo Advisors COVID-19 Resource Page
USDA Rural Development
USDA has implemented immediate measures to help rural residents, businesses, and communities affected by COVID-19. If you are located in a rural area, your business may be eligible for opportunities for immediate relief.
To view a full matrix of resources that may be available, see the COVID-19 Federal Rural Resource Guide.
Additional Recommended Resources
- Cybersecurity: Stay Safe Online – COVID-19 Security Resource Library from the National Cybersecurity Alliance
- PPE: AVMA Guidelines for use of personal protective equipment (PPE) during the COVID-19 pandemic when demand exceeds supply
- Emerging Research: LitCOVID – A curated collection of the latest scientific research regarding COVID-19
- Mental Health: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Disaster Responders Resource Portal
- Essential Personnel Documentation: AVMA Essential Employee Authorization Letter Template
COVID-19 Resource Pages