This webinar was presented by the AZA Safety Committee on 2/17/23
This webinar focuses on a topic that keeps zoo professionals up at night: guests crossing barriers. In this webinar, panelists from different Zoos review incidents that have occurred on grounds, how those responses were handled, and how their facilities adapted post event. Attendees had the opportunity to participate in a Q&A with presenters and additional panelists from the AZA after presentations have completed.
Presenters and Moderators:
- Dr. Sue Tygielski, Reid Park Zoo
- Tim Sampson, John Ball Zoo
- Maria Gallegos, Houston Zoo
- Lieutenant Jennifer Cross, Topeka Police Department
- Shanna Simpson, Topeka Zoo
- Dave Ruhl, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Additional Safety Committee members participated in the Q&A as panelists. Presenter bios and contact information can be viewed here.
The tabletop drill games mentioned during this webinar are available for download here.
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
- Growing Resiliency for Aquarium and Zoo Employees (GRAZE)
- Crisis Prevention Institute
Disclaimer: This webinar is advisory in nature, informational in content, and intended to assist facilities in providing a safe and healthful environment. Considerations therein do not replace or override any applicable federal, state, or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Content may not address all of the safety and husbandry concerns for a specific facility. It is the responsibility of each facility through the application of technical judgment and experience to determine the appropriate procedures for that facility. Views expressed in the webinar are solely those of the speakers and not AZA